Re: [Fwd: Re: New string in gnome-control-center]

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:37:33PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> fre 2004-02-27 klockan 23.46 skrev Dafydd Harries:
> > Ar 26/02/2004 am 23:17, ysgrifennodd Jody Goldberg:
> > > I'll disagree here.  This is a problem that will bite anyone that
> > > has been using X for a while.  The most common use case I've seen is
> > > people that have ctrl and caps lock swapped.  They log into their
> > > shiney new gnome and _poof_ their long standing changes don't work
> > > anymore.  They are not necessarilly technical, xkb is quite new and
> > > not well used.
> >
> > Could you be a bit more specific than "anyone that has been using X for
> > a while"? Under what circumstances will a .xmodmap file get created?
> > Am I right in thinking that the problem only arises if a .xmodmap file
> > exists?
> >
> > Basically, I would like to know how prevalent the situation is likely to
> > be, and for which types of users it is likely to occur. If it's a small
> > proportion of technical users, I'm inclined to reject this change.
> >
> > In my opinion, iff a reasonably techincal person upgrades to GNOME 2.6
> > and their xmodmap configuration isn't working, one of the first things
> > they'll do is check .xsession-errors.

we're arguing over minutia here.  Yes a reasonably technical user
will fall back to checking logs.  However, it is not always
immediately obvious which log to look in.  Nor, IMHO, is it a good
idea to force them to do that.   The control-center is screwing up
and discarding settings, the least we can do is try to warn people.

The warning is going into CVS (if it's not already there) if people
feel strongly that it should not violate the string freeze then
we'll be displaying untranslated text.  To my mind that is still
better than displaying untranslated text to stderr.

> Btw, please keep people cc:ed, at least if you reply to them. Jody isn't
> subscribed to gnome-i18n (that's why a previous answer had to be
> forwarded).
thanks.