Re: [Fwd: Re: New string in gnome-control-center]

Ar 01/03/2004 am 14:28, ysgrifennodd Jody Goldberg:

> > I assume by "discarding settings" you mean that the .xmodmap file will
> > be ignored in GNOME (rather than being actually deleted or anything).
>
> It will actually be read and applied then erased when the settings
> daemon runs.

The .xmodmap file is deleted? If so, that's more serious than I
realised. Let's just add the string and be done with it.

> > My view is that committing the warning will violate the string freeze if
> > it will be user-visible. It doesn't matter whether it's marked for
> > translation or not: adding a user-visible string *is* a string freeze
> > breakage.
>
> I'm failing to see the difference between an untranslated string in
> the ui and an untranslated string to stderr.  We only display this
> when the error has happened so the use case is the same.

Sorry, I don't think I was making sense. Basically, if you expect the
user to be able to understand it,

a) it should be marked for translation (whether it's shown in a GtkLabel
   or on stderr or whatever)
b) if it's added during the string freeze, it's a string freeze breakage

> > I increasingly feel that the translation team is seen by developers
> > merely as an obstacle to getting string changes into CVS.
>
> My sincere apologies.  That is the furthest thing from my mind.
> This thread should have begun with my seeking humble contrition for
> the violation.  Note, I agree whole heartedly, this is a string
> freeze violation.  However, as maintainer I need to balance quality
> of implementation and quality of translation to make the end user
> comfortable.  In this instance translation lost.

Yes, quite, it's a balance. It's only a problem when we have trouble
agreeing where the balance lies. :)

String freeze breakages are sometimes a necessary evil; but sometimes
they are an unnecessary evil, and when (as a translator) you're
confronted with many string freeze breakages, it can be hard to see them
in a good light.

--
Dafydd