Re: Some hints and guidelines for the .po file headers

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 23:09, Christian Rose wrote:
> Yeah, the crux is just to find a description style that everyone agrees
> on. :-)
> Do you have a suggestion?

Let's go for "LANGUAGE translation for PACKAGE". Does anybody object?

> > Are there recommendations when we are translating a branch? Use the
> > branch tag, for example?
>
> Excellent suggestion. How about "modulename branchname", i.e.
>
> Branch:
> HEAD		"Project-Id-Version: nautilus\n" or "Project-Id-Version: nautilus HEAD\n"
> gnome-2-6	"Project-Id-Version: nautilus gnome-2-6\n"

I didn't think about it then, but there is the problem of when one first
translates a package in a string freeze. When someone starts with
translating the branch, but commits first to the HEAD to stop CVS from
behaving in weird ways, what should it be labeled?

> > Just curious, why is the "last" translator so important in gettext?
>
> To have a good guess of who's currently maintaining the translation, as
> Carlos described.

I'm not convinced. That will clearly need a field for maintainer. The
last one who sent a patch is usually not the maintainer.

roozbeh