Re: Some hints and guidelines for the .po file headers

lör 2004-07-24 klockan 13.15 skrev Roozbeh Pournader:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 23:09, Christian Rose wrote:
> > Yeah, the crux is just to find a description style that everyone agrees
> > on. :-)
> > Do you have a suggestion?
>
> Let's go for "LANGUAGE translation for PACKAGE". Does anybody object?

I'm fine with that as long as a period on the end is included:

	# LANGUAGE translation for PACKAGE.

i.e.:

	# Swedish translation for nautilus.

The reason for that is that we then still comply to the gettext/TP
template standard with a period at the end.

> > > Are there recommendations when we are translating a branch? Use the
> > > branch tag, for example?
> >
> > Excellent suggestion. How about "modulename branchname", i.e.
> >
> > Branch:
> > HEAD		"Project-Id-Version: nautilus\n" or "Project-Id-Version: nautilus HEAD\n"
> > gnome-2-6	"Project-Id-Version: nautilus gnome-2-6\n"
>
> I didn't think about it then, but there is the problem of when one first
> translates a package in a string freeze. When someone starts with
> translating the branch, but commits first to the HEAD to stop CVS from
> behaving in weird ways, what should it be labeled?

I guess that's part of the reason why I myself always use only PACKAGE
as the project-id-version:

	"Project-Id-Version: nautilus\n"

Then the branches may change, but this line need not.

> > > Just curious, why is the "last" translator so important in gettext?
> >
> > To have a good guess of who's currently maintaining the translation, as
> > Carlos described.
>
> I'm not convinced. That will clearly need a field for maintainer. The
> last one who sent a patch is usually not the maintainer.

It's the best approximation of maintainer information that we currently
have, and it's a standardized entry.