Re: Some hints and guidelines for the .po file headers

tor 2004-07-22 klockan 07.09 skrev Roozbeh Pournader:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 00:16, Christian Rose wrote:
> > 	# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
> >
> > Here it's recommended to write something that describes the file, for
> > example "German translation of Nautilus." or "Swedish messages for
> > Evolution" or something like that.
>
> I would love to have these standardized somehow in GNOME. Following
> orders is easier than thinking, and this is unnecessary thinking.

Yeah, the crux is just to find a description style that everyone agrees
on. :-)
Do you have a suggestion?

> >  with their personal mail addresses
>
> Really? Their "personal" mail addresses? One may not use the business
> address? Why?

By "personal mail address" I meant the individual's mail address instead
of the team's mailing list or something like that. Of course
bob company com will do aswell, as long as it goes to Bob the individual
and not a group of people (a mail address for a group of people should
be provided in the Language-Team field).

Perhaps I should have said "individual mail addresses" instead.

> > 	"Project-Id-Version: PACKAGE VERSION\n"
> >
> > Replace "PACKAGE VERSION" by something short that uniquely identifies
> > this particular translation, for example "evolution HEAD" or just
> > "evolution".
>
> Are there recommendations when we are translating a branch? Use the
> branch tag, for example?

Excellent suggestion. How about "modulename branchname", i.e.

Branch:
HEAD		"Project-Id-Version: nautilus\n" or "Project-Id-Version: nautilus HEAD\n"
gnome-2-6	"Project-Id-Version: nautilus gnome-2-6\n"

> >         "Last-Translator: FULL NAME <EMAIL ADDRESS>\n"
> >
> > Here you should enter the last translator who edited the file and this
> > person's email address.
>
> Just curious, why is the "last" translator so important in gettext?

To have a good guess of who's currently maintaining the translation, as
Carlos described.