Re: Some hints and guidelines for the .po file headers

Yesterday at 20:39, Christian Rose wrote:

>> Are there recommendations when we are translating a branch? Use the
>> branch tag, for example?
>
> Excellent suggestion. How about "modulename branchname", i.e.
>
> Branch:
> HEAD		"Project-Id-Version: nautilus\n" or "Project-Id-Version: nautilus HEAD\n"
> gnome-2-6	"Project-Id-Version: nautilus gnome-2-6\n"

This won't work well with those nice and well-behaving maintainers
which don't break any string freezes, thus not requiring translators
to update their translations after the branch point (it's not
uncommon to have branches created only when stable tarballs have
already been rolled out).

So, with such modules we'd have unuseful data, so we could not use
this data any better than a pointer for a human.  I.e. we could not
use this for automatic checking by a program, and thus I see it as no
better than allowing people to use free-form strings such as
"Nautilus 2.6" (this is simpler for humans, yet machines won't
benefit from the above format as described).

Cheers,
Danilo