Re: GNOME Localization and Usability

Happy new year to all!

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 22:03:05 +0100
Danilo Segan <danilo@gnome.org> wrote:
[snip]
> "Translation Project" (TP -- http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gnutra/) is
> a bit more passive effort of translating software.  It puts more
> workload on the maintainer instead of the translator (which is a good
> thing, because that will not discourage translators, though, many a
> maintainer doesn't enjoy that part of the work), and it provides mail
> interface.
>
> In Gnome, we always work with the latest CVS. I have experienced a
> couple of times that you're late with your translation for a project
> which uses TP, because maintainer posts POT file only after the
> release.

I experienced that as well, a couple of times.

> As good as it works, most of the newbie translators today would
> probably have problems with it: web is what they're used to (how many
> times did you hear people refer to the web as to the "Internet"?),
> and that's what any interface created for ease of use should use.

I agree, and after reading the other posts, would suggest to make a
complete web interface for translators. A website where every active
member of GTP gets an account, team leaders can assign modules to team
members (even better: first come, first get), and team members can fetch
and put their translations (which are completely checked and handled by
the application). Statistics could be personalized at this site.
I think such a system would be ideal: it would make translation less
error-prone, and it would lower the threshold for new translators. And it
shouldn't be hard to make such a system (I volunteer to help).

With kind regards,
Elros

  Elros Cyriatan
  89D0A011957D96020E7D1D16B37D496E440D660A