Re: en_CA Proposal

mån 2004-02-16 klockan 09.53 skrev Adam Weinberger:
> Canadian English does not fit neatly within any of the other i18ns. It
> is halfway between the Queen's English and American English. Case in
> point: in Canada, one uses a dialog box to customize fibre colours.
>
> If there is interest in this, I am willing to manage the process. I have
> contacted no other potential translators, but I have no concerns about
> finding participants.
>
> My hesitation is that I am not emphatic about the concept of Yet Another
> Localized English (Mis)spelling project. However, until it's possible to
> say, "Use en_CA, and fall back on en_GB, and then fall back on C," it
> makes sense to me to allow support for Canadian English.
>
> I am interested in hearing the GNOME i18n's thoughts on the relevance
> and merits of this concept.

Support for Candadian English (en_CA) is most welcome in GNOME. If the
differences are big enough (and I think you've given enough of evidence
of it being so) and you're willing to take on the task of coordinating
an en_CA effort, then I wish you good luck!

I've added your name and e-mail address to the teams page at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html now. Please verify
that this listing is correct.

I'll also send a mail in private to you with a request for bugzilla
details. Please reply to that mail as soon as possible.

Other than that, please ask around on this mailing list or at the IRC
channel #i18n on irc.gnome.org if you need help getting started.

For a new team, starting with translating GNOME 2.5, that will
eventually (see http://www.gnome.org/start/2.5/) become GNOME 2.6, is
the thing to do right now. You can find a list of included software at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/ under the
"desktop" and "developer-libs" sections of any language link. Those are
the things to translate for full support of the official GNOME release.

On the status pages, you also find links to the pot files to translate,
on
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/en_CA/developer-libs/
and
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.6/en_CA/desktop/
respectively.

Once you have translated some of these pot files, you can send the
resulting po files to me and I'll try to put them into cvs for you. Just
make sure that the files pass the "msgfmt -cv en_CA.po" test, that they
are encoded in UTF-8, and that you compress them using gzip before
attaching them to the mail.

Once you've contributed a few translations this way, we can arrange a
cvs account for you, so that you can put translations directly into cvs
later on.

Translation to English is a bit different from other forms of
translation, since you in the general case would like to copy the
unmodified contents of the msgid into the msgstr. This can be
accomplished with the gettext "msgen" utility.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks, and welcome,