Re: gnome-terminal messages not clear for me

Hi Pablo,

Today at 13:46, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> Well, my idea was to put the encodings usually used previously,
> as a common complaint with the switching to utf-8 is that display
> is broken when ssh'ing to another machine still using old encoding.
> (and for Serbian I put both latin and cyrillic as I suppose most of
> the translation is done with a common source)

Actually, if you take a look at how gnome-terminal works, what's
listed in this translatable message are only encodings which will
*appear* in a drop-down menu by *default*.  Users can add any of the
available encodings by themselves using that same menu. They would
still have to know which one to select (and having them choose among
one of five, or one of 10 is no big difference IMHO, if they don't
know which one they want).

You were correct to put both Latin and Cyrillic, except that your
list was incomplete, and most terminal connections wouldn't be using
any of the encodings you put there.  I understand that you had good
intentions, but they don't turn out well all the time ;-)

Cheers,
Danilo