Re: gnome-terminal messages not clear for me

Hi Pablo, Christian, others,

Today at 1:23, Christian Rose wrote:

> tor 2004-08-26 klockan 22.47 skrev Pablo Saratxaga:
>> I put suitable lines for all *.po files;
>> and also added two more encodings:
>
> Hi Pablo,
>
> much as I think that your commit was probably helpful to many, I don't
> think we should be modifying other translator's translations without
> neither advance permission nor advance notice.
>
> Please ask for permission in the future when patching translated
> messages.

I second this.  Pablo updated Serbian translations even though we knew
what this field was about, and intentionally put it the way we did
(simply "UTF-8,current").

I also provided a comment in Serbian above it which said that this was
so, and that it's expected that users hoping to have any different
encoding in a menu should be in such a locale ("current").

Also, the choices Pablo made are inappropriate:

[UTF-8,current,ISO-8859-5,WINDOWS-1251,ISO-8859-2]

If we come to think of terminal usage in Serbia, I can confirm that I
have yet to see a single WINDOWS-1251 being used for any terminal
encoding.  ISO-8859-* encodings are rare themselves, but if Pablo is
aiming for completeness (all encodings which can represent Serbian),
he has missed on WINDOWS-1250 (which can be used for Serbian Latin,
just like ISO-8859-2, and this is one most commonly comes across in
plain text files originating from Windows), CP852, CP855 and some
others.

Even, commonly used terminal encodings are CP852 (for Serbian Latin)
and CP855 (for Serbian Cyrillic), since DOS computers were much
more common around here than Unix terminals.

Yet, even these are not used at all if we compare with old 7-bit YUSCII
standards.  So, if we were aiming for better support, we'd rather put
YUSCII encoding in the list, but these are not even listed in
gnome-terminal/src/encoding.c (Latin one is supported by iconv
[iso646.c, "YU"], but not the Cyrillic one, which differs very
marginally if we consider semantics; this one is JUS_I.B1.003-SERB or
ISO-IR-146, look at http://anubis.dkuug.dk/cultreg/registrations/number/141).

So Pablo, thanks for trying to help, but please don't do it without
consulting translators who may have actually considered all the
issues involved, and have decided (whether they're wrong or not is
another issue; your choice may be better, but we have still
intentionally did what we did â it was not out of ignorance or
whatever).

I'm reverting Serbian translations to what they were prior to this.
I see no bad effect of this since whoever needs any special encoding
will be able to add it to the gnome-terminal "Encodings" menu very
easily.

Cheers,
Danilo