Re: Translation of program names

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 15:33, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> > Actually it is the acronym for GNU Network Object Model Environment.
>
> It smells much more like an after the fact invention.

Wikipedia, FOLDOC, Google listing even [dictonary.com] apart from
everything else I have read so far highlight the acronym..

Interestingly [gnome.org] has very little references to this.
Still I found a historical account to comparision with Microsoft OLE and
COM technologies driving the name, here
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/GGAD/z2.html

> > So there will have to be five words (minimum) that need to be traslated
> > and then the initial letters abbreviated.
>
> No!

Well if I confused anyone apologies and  please do not translate the
acronym GNOME.
I was pointing out how nuts it will be to translate acronyms.

In every language I know this will be disastrously unpronouncible.

> It doesn't matter at all where "gnome" comes from;

I think it matters to know though.
The way free software systems work glued like they are, history is
useful to trouble shoot confusions.

> It doesn't matter at all where "gnome" comes from; it is now a name of
> its own, and translated (or adapted phonologically) as such.

1/ Is this 'name' supposed to mean an 'ageless bearded dwarf with four
toes' ?

So it should be pronounced without any emphasis on the 'g' as suggested
here
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=CALD&key=33313&desc=gnome&ph=on

> Much the same as "laser", even if it is said to be an acronym for
> "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation".
> it is "láser", "lazer", etc in other languages.

Yes looks like a good explanation next time someone challenges me.
Thanks.

2/ In the above example 'lazer' was the 'z' in german used so it can be
phonetically close to laser in english?

If 1 and 2 above are correct  then I have to change my module's
translated stings for GNOME to sound like /noum/.

Ramanan