Re: Fixing 5th Toe in status pages

Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:
> Yeah, the reason for my letter was more or less to find out which are
> candidates (i.e. those in the CVS) and which are not. If I list the
> projects again (without those Daniel told me about)

Ok, I checked on
http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/rview.cgi?cvsroot=/cvs/gnome to see if any
of these is present.

>   drivel 0.9.1 - a dropline web logging client
>   gnotime 2.1.7 - time tracker application
>   gurlchecker 0.6.0 - url checking application
>   heartbeat 0.2 - server monitoring system
>   meld 0.8.5 - visual diff and merge utility
>   seti-applet 2.1.3 - seti client applet
>   streamtuner 0.10.0 - Internet music stream browser
>   tsclient 0.120.0 - remote desktop client
>   workrave 1.4.0 - Repetitive stress injury prevention utility

These are not present.

Which leaves us with the following.

>   gob2 2.0.6 - GObject builder library

This one is in the "gob" directory (though, I'd much rather put this
into developer-apps category, instead of 5th toe).

Also, it's not i18n'ed, so there's no point in putting it into status
pages yet. Actually, I think the maintainer might need some help
here, because there're a bunch of FIXME's regarding gettext support.
Perhaps it would be wise to point him at http://gnome.org/~malcolm/i18n/

Still, someone with knowledge of gob would have to help out, because
I don't know in what way is C source file generated from .gob file,
and if it's possible to translate .gob files just like C files
(i.e. if it will pass gettext calls appropriately into generated
code). Also, xgettext seems to find some translatable string in yacc
files too, and I don't know if that makes sense.

>   gpaint2 0.2.3 - simple graphics program

It seems gpaint 0.2.2 is the last version in Gnome CVS. Also, it's a
Gtk+ 1.2 version, so it's probably much different than gpaint2.

>   sound juicer 0.5.3 - cd ripping utility

This one is in "extras", and it's already at 0.5.7 I think.
Christian, should it be moved?

> would you tell me which you know? I will try to dig up the rest then
> and update the status pages.

I suggest you go through the page I mentioned (I actually hoped you'd
do it before me :P) which lists all modules in Gnome CVS -- they're
the only ones that can be put into status pages at this time.

I think the basic requirement is that those apps are using Gtk+ 2,
and that they're maintained (not abandoned -- you can usually get this
by looking at the latest commit or NEWS or ChangeLog file).

Of course, one essential requirement is that they're
internationalised ;-)

Cheers,
Danilo