Re: KhmerOS 1.0 - Khmer OpenSource Project

Danilo Segan wrote:

>Gnumeric -- it's Gtk+2 software, and probably as powerful as (if not
>more than) OpenOffice spreadsheet application. It's not a tiny
>translation ... but I think it should be seriously taken into account.

Thanks, I will take it into account.

>As for Mozilla, I don't think it's neccessary to translate it at all,
>if you're going to base your platform on Gnome: Gnome includes
>Epiphany web browser for daily web-browsing tasks, and there's also
>Galeon web browser which is a bit more "advanced" (probably on par
>with Mozilla, but it uses Pango/Gtk+ completely, and integrates
>nicely with the desktop; also, many of the messages are shared
>between Galeon and Epiphany, so that might ease the task, and you're
>probably already translating Epiphany, because it's in the 'desktop'
>category).
>
>Of course, both Galeon and Epiphany use the Gecko engine for
>rendering web pages, which is provided by Mozilla.

I am considering Mozilla because it includes web navigation, e-mail,
chat and web editing in one single package. Maybe there is a better
solution. I need to include web editing, chat and Instant messaging. Any
ideas?

The Mozilla suite includes about 9.000 messages, Galeon is about 1.360.

I am also considering translating Evolution, so the e-mail capability
may not be so important (except if the platform is used on Windows,
which -I understand- would exclude Evolution).

I  have looked around for an accounting package for small-medium size
enterprises, but none appear in the Software map (only home accounting).
Does anybody know one?

>These are just some of my thoughts, but I must also mention one
>other thing: "KhmerOS" remindes me of "Khmer Operating System"
>(probably because I had a lot of contact with different *OSes, like
>RISCOS, V2OS, AtheOS, ... ;-). You might also want to use at least
>interchangeably terms "Free Software" and "Open Source", because each
>of them presents a different idea of what does software like Gnome
>bring besides technical advantage: freedom and openness (though, one
>might consider latter already included in the former).

So far it is just the code name, and not easy to write or pronounce in
Khmer, so it will probably be changed.

Most users will never know what OpenSource is and.... in Cambodia the
concept of Free Software cannot be understood, as non-free software does
not exist. Everything costs one to two dollars here, except Linux
releases that may cost up to 10 dollars, but only because they include
several CDs...

Again, now there is a copyright law, as in many other countries in the
are, such as Vietnam or Thailand (a prerequisite for entry in the World
Trade Organisation). I suppose that with time Microsoft and BSA will try
to start cracking on local CD shops, and this is also a good argument
for Free Software... because it will continue to be free... as it always
was.

Javier