Re: KhmerOS 1.0 - Khmer OpenSource Project

Javier SOLA <fjsola@aui.es> writes:
> (it may also work for Mozilla, as it uses a little bit of Pango, but
> not for OpenOffice) without further developments.

If you worry about OpenOffice.org, be sure to take into account
Gnumeric -- it's Gtk+2 software, and probably as powerful as (if not
more than) OpenOffice spreadsheet application. It's not a tiny
translation (around 4000 messages, but when you translate all those
messages, you also translate a large bit of it's reference
documentation, because it's reused there), but I think it should be
seriously taken into account.

As for Mozilla, I don't think it's neccessary to translate it at all,
if you're going to base your platform on Gnome: Gnome includes
Epiphany web browser for daily web-browsing tasks, and there's also
Galeon web browser which is a bit more "advanced" (probably on par
with Mozilla, but it uses Pango/Gtk+ completely, and integrates
nicely with the desktop; also, many of the messages are shared
between Galeon and Epiphany, so that might ease the task, and you're
probably already translating Epiphany, because it's in the 'desktop'
category).

Of course, both Galeon and Epiphany use the Gecko engine for
rendering web pages, which is provided by Mozilla.

These are just some of my thoughts, but I must also mention one
other thing: "KhmerOS" remindes me of "Khmer Operating System"
(probably because I had a lot of contact with different *OSes, like
RISCOS, V2OS, AtheOS, ... ;-). You might also want to use at least
interchangeably terms "Free Software" and "Open Source", because each
of them presents a different idea of what does software like Gnome
bring besides technical advantage: freedom and openness (though, one
might consider latter already included in the former).

Cheers,
Danilo