KhmerOS 1.0 - Khmer OpenSource Project

Christian,

Thanks.

I am now reaching the detail level for my project, including the list of
applications that need to be translated. I am of course including all
the applications that you told me (Desktop, dev-libs), plus Firestarter,
OpenOffice, Mozilla, Evolution, Gimp, Multimedia (Totem, Alsa) and
utilities... creating a self-contained system in Khmer, just like they
have done with Lambdaux in Spain (www.lambdaux.com). I have censed about
53.000 messages that need to be translated, as well as about 1.300 pages
of documentation. The problem is that I have to make sure that -if I get
support from Pango- it will be enough to translate the interfaces of
most of the applications that I want to translate (it may also work for
Mozilla, as it uses a little bit of Pango, but not for OpenOffice)
without further developments.

The project includes translation of documentations, development or
translation of training modules, empowering Cambodian Universities to
Work on Linux/Gnome, sponsoring contacts between Cambodian development
companies and government bodies (the government cannot have databases in
Khmer now, which is a mess), development of keyboard, developing and
putting around 50 fonts in the public domain... and a full deployment
plan that includes enpowering development companies, training companies
and design companies.

I am now looking for the money to pay for all of it, that is why I have
to define the whole project before it starts. The funny thing is that in
a poor country like Cambodia it is possible to find this kind of money,
which would be impossible in a developed country (cooperation money).

If things go well, I even hope to have money to pay for some of the
developments made to include Khmer in Gnome (even if the developments
were done before).

I will send a copy of the project when it is a little more developed on
the technical side.

Javier