Re: Is gnome-i18n module too fat?

On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 22:18, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:
> On 2003-05-18(Sun) 13:17:21 +0300, Yanko Kaneti wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 12:10, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:
> > > Currently, the gnome-i18n module takes a long time to check out, partly
> > > due to the Sun l10n style guides inside gnome-i18n module. It looks like
> > > we could have saved around 25% of space/time by compressing the
> > > PostScript files and FrameMaker sources in style guides:
> [....]
> > > Now another question remains: what should be used to compress them?
> > > bzip2? gzip?
> >
> > Big binary files have no business in CVS imho.
>
> Are you confusing something else with what I said?

(Now this looks like a pointless jab but I'll answer it anyway)

My point is that these files shouldn't be in cvs in the first place.
Compressing them is optimizing a situation thats wrong to begin with.

Why not fix the problem once and for all? Lets make a versioned tarball
of these things. Publish it somewhere on ftp.gnome.org and clean the
baggage from cvs.

Yanko