Re: Source code encoding detection modifications for intltool

On 2003-07-16(Wed) 10:42:29 +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > > Well, if it's detected as an ASCII file, we can use without problems the
> > > UTF-8 encoding, the problem is if it detects it as an ISO-* because
> > > there are characters that are not valid UTF-8 characters...
[.........]
> > That is, explicitly specify the encoding of source files in POTFILES.in,
> > so that intltool can use this value to avoid autodetecting file
> > encoding. Is there any better possible solution?
>
> I was doing it this way, but xgettext gets only one encoding for all
> files, so all files should use the same encoding, thus if you have one
> file as UTF-8 all files should use UTF-8.

Yes, I know it, and that's why there's no filename following my proposed
[encoding:...] tag. It effectively means all files are assumed to be in
specified encoding, and take it for granted. If there is none, use
"file" command to autodetect it (as fallback).

In this way, module maintainers can manually specify the encoding inside
POTFILES.in.

Abel

--
Abel Cheung