Re: New document required

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 16:11:43 +0100, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> Another reason I recall people leaving -- or not getting started:
>
> People who want to translate to a language which doesn't even have
> a language code yet. As an example, some years ago, a really
> enthusiastic person emailed gnome-doc-list about setting up a
> Papiamento group. This is a language which had no code. I was

Languages without their own specific codes can use a generic
family code and specify the language with @foo. For
instance, a Matupi volunteer recently emailed the list
asking what language code to use, and we settled on
"sit@Matupi". (sit == Sino-Tibetan (Other)) It's a good idea
to try to get an iso639 code anyway, but that should never
be a prerequesite to starting the translation team.
Hopefully, we'd never respond the way we apparently
responded to the Papiamento person, anymore.

Noah