Re: New document required

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 07:18:41PM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> After some conversations a couple of weeks ago with somebody not yet
> involved in GNOME translations, it appears there is a document waiting
> to be written. When an individual or a group of people form a new
> translation team, there must be a number of tasks that they have to do.
> Things like beginning to create a word list of consistent translations
> for particular terms. There must also be a few known tips for people
> coordinating translation teams -- whether everybody is working remotely,
> or periodically meeting and translating around a kitchen table. Many of
> these tasks are common between the teams.
>
> This stuff should be written down. Probably some of the newer
> translation teams need to take the lead here -- I suspect some of our
> more experienced translators will have forgotten what was hard, or will
> underemphasise the annoying bit (inadvertently).
>
> In an ideal world, I would file a bug and assign it to the leader of the
> newly formed Welsh team (all the while thinking "turnabout is fair play"
> under my breath :-) ). However, my plan came unstuck when I could find
> no appropriate product in bugzilla for it. So I am posting it here in
> the hopes that somebody will pick it up. Forutnately (for me) this is
> not the type of document I can write myself, so I will simply act as
> motivator here.

I'm on the Welsh team.

Certainly I think that having such a document would have been very
useful.

Our coordinator, Gareth, has a website, but it's a bit sparse:

	http://tgb.org.uk/projects/gnome-cy

Additionally, I maintain a website which includes a status page (with
some information regarding ownership of modules), packages of po and mo
files (updated daily), and some information regarding terminology (which
badly needs updating):

	http://muse.19inch.net/~daf/gnome-cy/

The terminology page is based on a po file we got somewhere - we had a
lot of discussion about terminology in the file before we actually
translated any programs. We have changed out minds about a lot of things
since the file was written. I have tentatively started a new terminology
page which isn't linked from anywhere yet:

	http://muse.19inch.net/~daf/gnome-cy/geirfa.html

(That one's generated from an XML file.)

Telsa maintains a page of Welsh-related links which includes most of the
URLs relevant to the GNOME-Welsh work:

	http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/Cymraeg/bookmarks.html

We're thinking of splitting the gnome-cy links off onto a seperate page
somewhere. It would be nice to have a comprehensive official website.

We do have a mailing list which is very useful, and it's also used by
some of the KDE team. Also, we have an IRC channel (#gnome-cy on
freenode) which is termendously useful for coordination and discussion.

I have made some notes regarding translation, and so has Telsa. We
haven't gotten round to putting them into a form we can present to
translators. Telsa has rightly been saying that we should make a note of
these things while they are still fresh in our memories!

Did I just volunteer to do something?

--
Dafydd