Re: New document required

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:48:47PM +0200 or thereabouts, Christian Rose wrote:
> coordinatorship to someone else and announce the change should one
> decide to move on to other things in life. I feel we are very much in
> need for improvement here, there has been (and probably still is) many
> teams that have had absent/unreachable coordinators, and hence probably
> many volunteers that have never gotten responses to their enquires, and
> as a consequence left us.

Another reason I recall people leaving -- or not getting started:

People who want to translate to a language which doesn't even have
a language code yet. As an example, some years ago, a really
enthusiastic person emailed gnome-doc-list about setting up a
Papiamento group. This is a language which had no code. I was
all for just taking .pp (not then in use -- is it now?) and
starting whilst figuring out how to get a proper one. But
they were told they needed to get that code assigned; and I
don't recall anyone saying "And this is how you get one assigned"
at the time beyond "Contact the relevant body".

I hope I am wrong, but I have the feeling they went away thinking
they'd have to go through a long bureaucratic process before they
could do anything.

I certainly haven't seen Papiamento translations since then.

I have no idea whether this is the reason, but it did get me
thinking.

So something about how one might go about getting your language
a code might be very useful. I don't know whether it should go
in a co-ordinators document or not, and I certainly don't know
how you go about doing it.

But as we get (we hope) more and more languages, this will be
an increasing issue, I imagine.

Telsa