Re: UTF-8

Hi,

Karl Eichwalder <ke@suse.de> writes:

> Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@gnome-db.org> writes:
>
> > Also, remember that the mantainer can ask anything with his/her module
> > (for example gtk+, glib, pango,... they only want UTF-8 .po), so if
> > they ask you to use UTF-8 you have three options:
>
> Maintainers can do the converting at packaging time ;)
>
> Thanks for your extensive answer -- I still believe translators should
> be free to choose the encoding that works best for them and maintainers
> should to the converting (without touching the translator's master file,
> of course).

huh? Do you have any idea how much work is already involved in doing a
release? If I'd have to check all 157 po files in the GIMP source tree
for correct encoding everytime I do a tarball I'd never get a release
out. I have been told several times that the po files shouldn't be
touched by anyone but the translators and I agree that this is the
right policy. The maintainer of a package should be able to generate a
tarball simply by typing 'make dist'. Is it really asked too much to
expect translators to convert the po file before committing it to CVS?
I don't think that you can expect maintainers to come up for the
lazyness of translators.

Salut, Sven