Re: UTF-8

El mar, 09-07-2002 a las 08:33, Karl Eichwalder escribió:
> Christian Rose <menthos@menthos.com> writes:
>
> > That must have been it, because I for sure haven't heard any such
> > conclusion on gnome-i18n@gnome.org. On the contrary.
>
> The agreement was either to ship .mo files UTF-8 encoded or do the
> UTF-8 encoding at installation time using msgconv on-the-fly.

Well, it was not an agreement. It was a possibility that needs to be
implemented. I don't know how to do it.

The real agreement was:

If you want that your translation works with any distribution store all
your translations as UTF-8.

If you don't want to use UTF-8 fix all modules and write a HOWTO to do
the UTF-8 recode at installation time.

I didn't recode all .po files as I said because some of you don't love
UTF-8 but my team wants that all their translations work without
problems so we use UTF-8.

Also, remember that the mantainer can ask anything with his/her module
(for example gtk+, glib, pango,... they only want UTF-8 .po), so if they
ask you to use UTF-8 you have three options:

- you give them another solution (as the suggested UTF-8 at installation
time).
- you recode the translation as UTF-8 as they request you.
- you don't translate that module.

> IIRC, we also said, systems not supporting msgconv/libiconv are
> probably hacker systems not interested in translated messages at all.

You cannot say that. Did you tested all Unix systems where GNOME works?
You cannot assume that, you need to know it.

> I'm pretty sure it's all in the mailinglist archive ;)

We never got a final conclusion so it's not in the archive.

I don't want to waste more time with this issue, so my position is:

Translate all as UTF-8 if you want that all works, if you don't like
UTF-8 then, fix all packages or send a HOWTO to gnome-hackers with
instructions to recode all as UTF-8 at installation time and until the
mantainer fix it, use UTF-8.

It's easy ;-).