Re: UTF-8

El mar, 09-07-2002 a las 15:41, Karl Eichwalder escribió:
> Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@gnome-db.org> writes:
>
> > Also, remember that the mantainer can ask anything with his/her module
> > (for example gtk+, glib, pango,... they only want UTF-8 .po), so if
> > they ask you to use UTF-8 you have three options:
>
> Maintainers can do the converting at packaging time ;)

Yes, but you need to give them the Makefile rules to do it. I'm not good
with automake && autoconf so I cannot do it. Why don't send you a patch
to gnome-hackers?

> Thanks for your extensive answer -- I still believe translators should
> be free to choose the encoding that works best for them and maintainers
> should to the converting (without touching the translator's master file,
> of course).

That works in a perfect world where we don't have lots of feature
requests and bugs to fix and where the mantainers do all work and we
only do translations.

You are "free to choose the encoding that works best for you" but to be
able to do that you should:

- Wait for someone to modify all packages so they install UTF-8
catalogs.
- Modify it yourself.

Until then, mantainers must ask you UTF-8 files as a "workaround" for
that "bug". Believe me, I don't think that any mantainer takes this
"bug" as a MUST BE FIXED NOW, it's a improvement because there are other
ways to fix it that does not give them more work (I'm talking now as a
developer instead of a translator).

> Be happy!

;-)