Re: UTF-8

On 9 Jul 2002, Carlos [ISO-8859-1] Perelló Marín wrote:

> You are "free to choose the encoding that works best for you" but to be
> able to do that you should:
>
> - Wait for someone to modify all packages so they install UTF-8
> catalogs.
> - Modify it yourself.

Also - doesn't the use of UTF-8 avoid all potential gotchas around cases
where a single traditional 8 bit encoding might not suffice? A label
containing the greek letter 'Pi' springs to my mind as one example.

> Until then, mantainers must ask you UTF-8 files as a "workaround" for
> that "bug". Believe me, I don't think that any mantainer takes this
> "bug" as a MUST BE FIXED NOW, it's a improvement because there are other
> ways to fix it that does not give them more work (I'm talking now as a
> developer instead of a translator).

Speaking as somebody more from the building and packaging side than
developing or translating for a moment - lets *PLEASE* *PLEASE*
standradise on one format (utf-8) that will just work, not have hiden or
suprising gotchas, not require any knowledge about which systems it will /
will not run on and so worth. gnome already is a pretty complex project to
port / bundle - lets not make it even more complex.

> --
> Carlos Perelló Marín
> mailto:carlos@gnome-db.org
> mailto:carlos.perello@hispalinux.es