Re: Translating The GIMP

Sven Neumann <sven@gimp.org> writes:

> converting at release time is not an option. People tend to use the
> released tarball to work on the translations. If you equire them to
> convert the po files from the tarball back to their preferred encoding,
> you gain no advantage at all. Even worse, people get confused since
> the distributed po-files don't match the files in CVS.

This isn't what I said.  Leave the po files "as is" (legacy format) --
got it? ;)  Don't touch them.  Never.  .po files are translators land.
Just don't care about those files.

Distribute .mo or .gmo files converted to UTF-8 (if you think you have
to and if you're sure .mo files using UTF-8 will work on all platforms).

> Do you have any good arguments against UTF-8 encoded po-files?

There's simply no reason to do so.  It will confuse some oldtimers and
in the end you'll just loose some translators...

Please, read again what Pablo has written.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o