Re: Translating The GIMP

Sven Neumann <sven@gimp.org> writes:

> I have always asked people not to touch po files in CVS HEAD at all.

Good!

> (1) Some new languages have been added to the stable branch. These
>     need to be added to the unstable branch.

:)

> (2) Updates to translations from the stable branch need to be
>     "merged". Merging in this context means copying the po files
>     from the stable branch to unstable and running msgmerge on
>     them. Since we haven't changed many strings yet, this should
>     give reasonable results.

You can use the compendium feature to do this kind of merge; but one
(the translator!) has to decide whether string from stable or HEAD
should "win".

> what benefit does this give? Converting at installation time is not
> possible since we can not require the user to have the appropriate
> tools installed. We could do it at release time, but this wouldn't
> fit into the 'make dist' scheme.

"release time" sounds good to me.  I'd recommend to modify the 'make
dist' target and send a feature request to Bruno Haible.  There's at
least one project which goes this road since a year(?).

> I see no real alternative to UTF-8 encoded po files in the tree.

I'm all for UTF-8, but every single language team should decide when the
time has come.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o