Re: Translating The GIMP

Kaixo!

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 04:49:45PM +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Pablo Saratxaga <pablo@mandrakesoft.com> writes:
>
> > it is not needed to convert to UTF-8; providing the charset info in the
> > header is enough, gettext() will do the conversion at runtime depending
> > on the requested charset at display time (so, as long as gtk+ 2 asks
> > to display in utf-8 it will be transparent).
>
> Exactly.  Any chance to make gtk+ 2 work this way?

AFAIK it does. (tested with the pango sample program in gtk, if you don't
set a LC_CTYPE to an utf-8 locale it won't work properly (the sample
program has strings in various scripts)
The charset conversion is done by gettext internally; so unless gtk+
somehow overrides that (eg, by redefining the locale or something like
that) the conversion will be done.

Maybe that has changed since thenn but when I tried last time it was
like that.

>> The only case when utf-8 is mandatory is when non ascii is used in
>> the msgsid entries.
>
> Yes, but let's avoid this for the moment, please.

I prefer that to hard coding some 8bit encodings (which incidently
makes it impossible for new msgfmt to create the mo files for multibyte
translations...)

That being said, I prefer myself using iso-8859-1 for my translations
currently, because my ispell doesn't yet understand utf-8, and XFree86
doesn't have compose/dead keys tables for utf-8 yet (I sent a file to
handle that, so it should be in next version, but currently isn't).
For some languages it may even be worst when font or input methods problems
are involved too.

I think there is no need to force the change to utf-8 as it will come
naturally.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga