Re: Traditional Chinese under Red Hat 7.0/Gnome 1.2

Yukihiro Nakai ¼g¹D¡G

> > Yes, it's the problem of XFree86.
> > Add an entry to locale.dir would solve it.
>
> Not locale.alias?

Hmm...
Ideally, add to locale.alias is enough.
But some APs seem don't like an alias locale name.
I didn't try to dig the deeper reason, sorry!

> > We(CLE) decide to change the default locale name
> > of traditional Chinese(big5) to
> > zh_TW, but keep zh_TW.Big5, zh_TW.big5
> > for backward compatibility.
>
> Hm.
> How will you do when UTF-8 or other locales come?
> You won't be coufused?

Isn't zh_TW.utf8 enough? :)

I think glibc is migrating to use locale name
in an encoding independent way.
This is a good and right way!
That is, I only use 'zh_TW' to mean I want
to use traditional Chinese, no matter
what the really encoding it is.
Of course APs need to know what the real encoding
is, but glibc would handle the cumbersome
encoding conversion.
For example, in glibc 2.2, I can use
big5 or utf-8 in po files, and put all of them
into .../locale/zh_TW/ dir.
Glibc would do the conversion automatically.

Of course, many APs still don't work in this way.
This should be change gradually.

> I hope you CLE people report multibyte serious bugs of GNOME
> to the GNOME project and improve the upstream releases with us...

Yes, we are trying...:)

--
   ~     Chih-Wei Huang (cwhuang@linux.org.tw)
  'v'    Top Technologies International Co.,Ltd. R&D Director