Re: Subversion migration schedule (new cut-off Fri 14 July?)

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 20:22 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> I guess at the least we need to create the branches/gnome-2-*/ or
> similar directories early, and tell people to put their branches in
> their.

With svn we definitely have a lot more freedom in how we set up our
branches and tags.  So I think we should immediately limit that freedom
by coming up with some conventions. :)  I propose the following:

Assuming we have some project on the trunk with the URL like so:

http://svn.gnome.org/trunk/project

Tags, I believe, should be in per-project directories, like so:

http://svn.gnome.org/tags/project/PROJECT_1_0_0/project

We don't have to keep using the "PROJECT_1_0_0" convention for tags with
svn, but I think we probably should for compatibility and
predictability.

Likewise, we should do similarly for per-project branches:

http://svn.gnome.org/branches/project/project-1-0-branch/project

But for GNOME-wide branches, we should use the higher-level directory:

http://svn.gnome.org/branches/gnome-2-16/project

(For these, though, we should probably migrate them to the more
aesthetic and correct "gnome-2.16" name, since there are fewer and they
are easy to predict programmatically.)

Joe