Re: New suites vs. common release cycle [Was: Productivity suite]

<quote who="Christian Rose">

> But from the users that actually know what GNOME is, I have received
> nothing but positive feedback in terms of how the user experience of
> consistency and integration has improved through the latest releases.  So,
> at least to me it seems strange that we should intentionally start going
> in the opposite direction, and as a consequence be diluting our brand name
> (for those who know the difference) for no obvious reason.

We're not really going in the opposite direction, because there will still
be the beautifully integrated and coherent Desktop "product". However, we'll
create more opportunities for projects to identify themselves with GNOME, be
*part* of GNOME, and join the GNOME release process without a lot of hassle.

Note that there's no formal map or design for how this will happen just yet,
so please don't assume that we'll be throwing caution to the wind and
tossing away everything we've learned over the past few years. Far from it;
we just have to balance out strict and inclusive. :-)

- Jeff

--
OSCON 2005: August 1st-5th         http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/

      "Creative thinkers make many false starts, and continually waver
   between unmanageable fantasies and systematic attack." - Harry Hepner