Re: Gnotices Archives -> Keep Comments?

<quote who="iain">

> Will gnomedesktop be linked from the front page, or will it be only
> available to the cognoscenti? Like sunshineinabag.co.uk.

Linked from the main news page, for sure.

> I am just afraid that all the effort that has been put into gnomedesktop
> will be a) duplicated and b) wasted in our NIH desire for websites. And
> nothing you've said yet has reassured me.

a) different news, so not duplicated. the most interesting stuff from
gnome.org would almost certainly appear on gnomedesktop.org too.

b) we're not very good at website NIH given that it's not even up and
running yet!

> As an aside to show that we don't have to do everything: kde doesn't
> seem to have this problem and is quite happy to have their application
> lists run by an unoffically official independant site (kde.com)

Yeah, but that stuff isn't "official word of KDE Project and/or League"
material. Like I said before, this is not duplication, because the news is
different.

www.gnome.org has a whole bunch of "newsish stuff" that no one gets to hear
about because it's tucked away in, for example, the Foundation news page,
project pages such as a11y, usability, translations, then there's the weekly
news feed, etc., etc. Not all of this is general interest, but it's all
official GNOME stuff, either from maintainers, projects or the foundation.

We're *embracing* gnomedesktop.org as the best general interest GNOME news
site for users. We've already done away with Gnotices to that effect. The
new news system on gnome.org will not compete with that. I can even see us
syndicating the gnomedesktop.org stuff *inline* (so it's very accessible,
but with most of the information off-site), rather than putting it all in a
silly box on the side.

Totally not NIH, far from it.

- Jeff

--
                    The Unix Way: Everything is a file.
                 The Linux Way: Everything is a filesystem.