Re: Icon love

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 16:56, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
Yes, the ide is "to have easy to use applications", but all people that
use Microsoft applications, or Staroffice or Corel applications and many
other ones use an application with all strings translated (also the
images) and they will see the B I U icons (sorry, I only send plain
mails) as a bug (I see it as a bug and I'm using GNU/Linux with GNOME
since several years, so a new user...).
So those apps have localized icons? Hmm.
I also think that (for example) the startup screen for gnome should also
be using i18n. Some people does not understand why there is a "Welcome
to your GNOME workstation" instead of a "Bienvenido a su estación de
trabajo GNOME". I could understand all images without problems, but I'm
This should be done by rendering the freetype text over the splash screen based on a config file.
using the locale "es_ES" and I expect to get all symbols/icons for my
locale, here, at Spain (and I suppose, in other countries), some people
does not know any english word and other ones hate a mix between english
and spanish so It should be possible for us translate those things.

The code "hack" is as easy as a do: _("bold.png")
Yeah. It is not hard to do. But I think this needs some user testing / usability insight to tell whether it is a good idea. I would much rather do A - A - A then. (Same letter with in bold, italic and underlined).

It is hard to tell what should be done without doing some research/testing on it.

Tuomas
Tuomas Kuosmanen    Art Director    Ximian, Inc.
tigert ximian com    www.ximian.com