Re: Icon love

El vie, 18-01-2002 a las 15:44, Tuomas Kuosmanen escribió:
> On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 10:47, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
>
>     What will be really good is if you could do (or let us the source to do
>     it) the l10n of text bold, text italic and text underline, for example,
>     in spanish should be "N" (bold), "I" (italic) and "S" (underline)
>
>     I suppose that we should modify the applications to be able to use a
>     icon depending on our locale...
>
> Please don't.
>
> For once, I havent seen this on any other program. Also, B, I, U are
> rather clear since there is also the visual cue. It could be a lot
> harder, especially if a some language happens to map the stuff the other
> way around (word for "underline" would begin with "b" for example) - it
> would be very confusing.
>
> I am worried this could lead to just over-engineering and it probably is
> not worth the effort. If something, we could use A, A, A then.
> (Depending on your mailer program, you might not see the example, but
> the idea was to use a bolded A, italic A and underlined A)
>
> Same for sort icons. I have seen requests about this, which is sort of
> understandable, since for example finnish does not have Z as the last
> letter of the alphabet. But if we used the finnish localized version of
> the sort icon, it would have an arrow from A to Å. I think you see the
> point. A->Z is universally recognized as "beginning to end", although it
> is not exactly true on all languages. But the direction is right. Now a
> localized icon could be more literally correct but would totally hurt
> the usability by being less readable. Also, would be rather bad to have
> different icons depending what locale you happen to be using.
>
> Just my worries.. :-) The idea of usability is to have easy to use
> applications, not linguistically correct ones ;-)

Yes, the ide is "to have easy to use applications", but all people that
use Microsoft applications, or Staroffice or Corel applications and many
other ones use an application with all strings translated (also the
images) and they will see the B I U icons (sorry, I only send plain
mails) as a bug (I see it as a bug and I'm using GNU/Linux with GNOME
since several years, so a new user...).

I also think that (for example) the startup screen for gnome should also
be using i18n. Some people does not understand why there is a "Welcome
to your GNOME workstation" instead of a "Bienvenido a su estación de
trabajo GNOME". I could understand all images without problems, but I'm
using the locale "es_ES" and I expect to get all symbols/icons for my
locale, here, at Spain (and I suppose, in other countries), some people
does not know any english word and other ones hate a mix between english
and spanish so It should be possible for us translate those things.

The code "hack" is as easy as a do: _("bold.png")

> Tig

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín