Re: time for a flamewar, or ... what about grdb

Presuming that you can/want to mount your home directory just isn't reality.

I wander all over, using many machines, in many administrative domains.
Sometimes I have my laptop, sometimes I don't.  As often as not, there
is no way for me to have my file system mounted.  I certainly, however
have some way to manipulate the display I'm using.

Whatever display I am using, I want the "right" thing to happen.

For some displays, like on a PDA, it will be small, and I'll have different
customizations set for it.

Sometimes I'll be using an application on the big, honking server machine in
the back room that doesn't have access to my home directories.

Sometimes I'll use my PDA appication, but on the screen on my desktop,
or on the video projector on the wall.  I may have my directories cross
mounted, but the display I'm using may change on a minute by minute basis,
as I use different displays in my environment.

So while what we did with resources in X wasn't ideal, it certainly beats
the current Gnome situation.

Customizations are *fundamentally a property of the display*, not my home directory, which may or may not even be available.

Please fix.  You don't have to fix it the way we did originally, but
the current Gnome situation is just fundamentally broken.
                                 - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development