Re: time for a flamewar, or ... what about grdb

jg pa dec com (Jim Gettys) writes:
> Customizations are *fundamentally a property of the display*, not my
> home directory, which may or may not even be available.

I do think this is slightly wrong - some are properties of the display
(e.g. the panel size), some are properties of the user
(e.g. double-click time), some are properties of the session (window
positions).

You can certainly have one user using multiple displays at the same
time, either with multihead on a single computer or NFS-mounted home
directories.

What you really want to do is have apps provide hints for each setting
what it's per- (per-user, per-display, per-session) and let users
change the default for each setting if they like. Colm is trying to
get this working for GConf, I have a patch in my inbox from him that
starts on this work.

Havoc