Re: time for a flamewar, or ... what about grdb

> You aren't looking ahead. You slap your pda into a base station. Now are
> you going to view the pda apps on your desktop monitor and use the keyboard
> or are you going to sit their squinting at it and prodding it suspiciously
> with a pen ?

I think that for a PDA application I want a user interface that is
taylored for the PDA.

This is where I think PocketPC (Windows CE) gets everything wrong.
They are trying to use the same user interface code for pen computers
and keyboard-based computers.  That is why the thing is so odd to use.

> The holy grail of desktop computing is efficient scalable low cost
> administration without losing too much of the power of the system. Now
> imagine you can set up a single file system efficiently across your
> entire cluster of boxes and have it doing local journalled caches to
> disk. You install an app once and it fans out across the cluster. You
> sit at a cow-orkers box and your files are there. You add a new machine
> and it just acquires the company file store.
>
> You want to be ready for that, because the rest of the pieces are not
> that far away from completion.

But if I can share my filesystem across the network, then why do I
need to store my configuratiokn information on the X server.  I can
just reuse what is on the file system or what is stored by GConf and
be happy about it.

You are my hero if you get the above implemented in Linux and if we
get this wildely deployed you will acquire a more godless aura than
you already have.

Love,
Miguel.