Re: tasklist applet, shared library version.

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 05:15:58PM -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > Tasklist is somewhat reasonably stable, but NO WAY am I accepting a shlib
> > patch for deskguide, until deskguide is more stable.  It still crashes every
> > once in a while (it's rare but it happens).
>
> Well, I can always make two versions: the shared library version and
> the process version.  Each user can choose which one to use depending
> on its memory use.

That would be ok as long as the default is separate process.

I'd like to err on the side of stability rather then memory usage.

> I have discovered that in Spain, telling people `but it only takes up
> another three megs of RAM' is not really a good answer.
>
> If Deskguide crashes, maybe we should spend some time fixing it?  I
> bet the bug tracking system contains a few good bug reports.

Yes we should.

> > If deskguide crashes it's somewhat ok (well not really, it sucks badly, but
> > not AS badly), if the whole panel crashes, that is bad.
>
> Well, the panel has the auto-restart feature set up, so it is not as
> *bad* as you make it sound.

It's not the end of the world, but I think it is much worse if the entire
panel goes down.  Even though it restarts it's not really good.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.