Re: Two new projects in the CVS and 5th Toe

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:21PM -0800, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 20:29, Jim Gettys wrote:
 I think Havoc has it right.

 We have the machine resources (at least we are  in the process of
 getting such resources installed); if it has something to do with
 Gnome, we should be able host it without straining our development
 resources.

Yes, that's all good.

Theoretically (so ignore this) there is the small technical problem that
we don't have per-module access rights, so this wouldn't allow us to
host stuff for people who we don't know and trust already. And I doubt
that we want the workload of administering per-module access rights.

Agreed, we certainely can't let people just sign up online to host their prokect ala sourceforge. But I don't think it takes a lot of trust to decide somebody isn't going to be malicious and trash the cvs repository[*]. If somebody's been making reasonable contributions and acting nice on irc for a couple weeks they have already put enough investment in that I don't think its going to be a problem. Similarly, even strange maintainers that want to move an existing (substantial) project are pretty much in the clear as I see things.

-seth

[*] ok, so it could be devilish trickery trying to infiltrate gnome to bring us down... But.....
A) this hasn't happened before to my knowledge
B) cvs means that if it happens once every 4 years its pain but not death C) I have trouble imagining the person who has clue enough to contribute, has reason enough to hate us, and is also mature enough to trick us

I think the cost of discouraging contribution far exceeds the slim chances of a serious (recoverable) problem.

-Seth