Re: Proposal for changes to gnome-announce

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 14:12, Steve Fox wrote:

> The Software Map emails are not 'automatic'. The developer is required
> to click a button stating that they would like the announcement to go to
> the mailing list. We do pre-fill in some values for them into a template
> to bring some sense of order to the mails.

If only people _would_ fill in the other fields!

> I don't think we can judge the quality of the emails because many people
> are not native English speakers. Also, I don't think it's fair to give
> My Favorite Killer App (tm) any precedence over Yet Another Tea Timer.
> That new developer just may write the new Favorite Killer App some day
> and gnome-announce gives them a place to toot their horn and take some
> pride in what they do.

I completely agree, but I feel that the list needs to be more tightly
moderated. I understand that not everyone speaks English as a first
language, but this is no excuse for posting ChangeLogs without any
description, not stated what the app is/does, not giving a meaningful
download location.

As Jeff said, the other items are better separated out of the general
mass of "gfoo x.x has been released" stuff, especially for press and PR
purposes. A new list is probably the most sensible way to avoid lots of
disruption.

However Chema raises an interesting point - since Google offers hits on
gnome-announce posts, and since people might just say "hmm, I'll google
for a gnome teatime applet", we really need to do ourselves justice when
we write release announcements.

Mike