Re: Request for comments: GNOME Keychain

Hi,

We are in particular looking at the http proxy password storing
mechanism in gnome. This is configurable via network preferences capplet
& is stored in Gconf.

This is later extracted by gnome-vfs for applications ( nautilus,
gweather & stockticker) for connecting to the server.

we need to do 2 things - save the password in a secure way on disk and
provide an option for prompting for the password once-per-session.

The password saving information can be done for using the GNOME keychain
framework.

- Remove the password from gconf at the network capplet end. Use the new
Keychain APIs to store it in the keychain. decide on an unlocking ( e.g.
use the easiest - login-unlock).

- At the gnome-vfs http-method end, extract from the keychain and use
it. There will be an api for extraction.

I guess the Gnome Keychain framework can also be used for the prompting
option. That would require handling a service specific session-only
keychain.

Regards,
Hema.