Re: more gnome 2 proposal

Chema Celorio <chema ximian com> writes:

> I am all for splitting modules v.s. merging them.
>
> Smaller pieces are easier to get from cvs and to update as a binay
> package. From a maitainer point of view, they are easier to make
> releases. For example planing a gnome-print release with lauris is
> like 15 irc lines of talk. If gnome-print where to be inside gnome-libs,
> we would not be as flexible as we are now to make releases.
>
> One big library is harder to maintain and coordinate. It requires more
> non-hacking time devoted to it from hackers, more BW to move arround
> and more CPU time to compile and make distcheck.
>
> However a bigger library is indeed easier to build (from my experience)
> so we need to find a way to fix this. The scenario that itp brought up
> is a _daily_ royal pain for hackers and to-be-hackers.

Well, since we're now even closer than one month to GUADEC ...

I bet with you over as many alcoholic beverages that you can drink at one
evening that I can make a big package which builds all of libgnome-2,
libbonobo-2, libgnomecanvas-2 and libgnomeui-2 within one hour :-)

All that's needed to do this is a reasonably fast machine, a short autogen.sh
which can be copied from an existing module, a very short configure.in which
contains some AC_CONFIG_SUBDIR a, an even shorter Makefile.am and a good
barkeeper.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)