Re: more gnome 2 proposal

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I think the largest and most substantive point of disagreement right
> now is library packaging, i.e. lots of small modules vs. two big
> modules.

I am all for splitting modules v.s. merging them.

Smaller pieces are easier to get from cvs and to update as a binay
package. From a maitainer point of view, they are easier to make
releases. For example planing a gnome-print release with lauris is
like 15 irc lines of talk. If gnome-print where to be inside gnome-libs,
we would not be as flexible as we are now to make releases.

One big library is harder to maintain and coordinate. It requires more
non-hacking time devoted to it from hackers, more BW to move arround
and more CPU time to compile and make distcheck.

However a bigger library is indeed easier to build (from my experience)
so we need to find a way to fix this. The scenario that itp brought up
is a _daily_ royal pain for hackers and to-be-hackers.

regards,
Chema