more gnome 2 proposal

Hi,

We have yet another GNOME 2 writeup, to add to Jacob's and
Miguel's. There are some significant points of disagreement here, I'd
say let's discuss for the next few weeks, and at GUADEC we'll sort it
all out.

Maciej put it up here:
  http://canvas.gnome.org/~mjs/proposal.html

I think the largest and most substantive point of disagreement right
now is library packaging, i.e. lots of small modules vs. two big
modules.

In addition to the issues already covered, we tried to start outlining
the work plan for what needs doing in what order, and tried to make an
initial feature list.  There hasn't been much discussion on these
specifics yet, so not sure how much agreement we'll have.

IMO we should start using Bugzilla to coordinate this library work.
So my proposal is that once we sort out which modules will exist, we
get all those products created in bugzilla and be sure all proposed
features are also in bugzilla. We also should create "GNOME 2 API
freeze", "GNOME 2", and "future" milestones. Then we can use bugzilla
to track who's working on what, and what work remains to be done.

After sorting out this library stuff, we need to have similar
discussions for the end user aspects of GNOME 2, though we have more
time to work on end user features, so it's appropriate to do the libs
first. All the proposals so far are really only covering the
libraries.

Havoc