Re: Pointing ftp.gnome.org somewhere (Re: master.gnome.org and FTP server restructurement)

Mattias Wadenstein <maswan acc umu se> writes:

> Other than that, I think we would make a good ftp.gnome.org, one that
> takes running this service seriously. Until someone has a better place to
> run it on at least.
>
> But it all depends on how many other offers you have on providing
> ftp.gnome.org, one probably has to make a choice between the existing
> offers. There are plenty faster and topologically better placed sites out
> there.

Well, I think we have to consider two things here:

a) basically, we want to have people using mirrors and not ftp.gnome.org

b) it is very inconvenient for people to see a link to ftp.gnome.org in an
   announcements, follow it and then find out that the need to use a mirror.

I think b) is more important than a).

So at the moment, since you offered becoming ftp.gnome.org, this is always
better than nothing at all. And in addition to that, I think we should make
ftp.gnome.org a list of several IP addresses of different mirrors anyways,
so this won't even matter.

We'll just make ftp.gnome.org point to ftp.acc.umu.se now and then add other
addresses later on.

How does this sound ?

--
Martin Baulig