Re: The state of our web site and standards

On Apr 12, 2001, Jeff Waugh <jdub aphid net> wrote:

> > A lot of the content on the developper site will actually be generated
> > though XSLT from docbook, the PhP trick will not work for it (we will
> > use xsl:output="html" and the html struture from the stylesheet).
>
> This is something that has been troubling me a bit, too. All of the
> generated documentation (there is - and should be - *lots*) will fall
> outside of the scriptable templatey stuff that we have been talking about on
> gnome-web-list.

For the online Wine docs (http://www.winehq.com), we hacked in a
server side include with the DSSSL stylesheets, to better integrate
them with the rest of the website.  Something like this:

(define %html-ext% ".shtml")
(define %stylesheet% "winehq.css")
(define %stylesheet-type% "text/css")

;; Define new HTML headers
(define ($html-body-start$)
  (make sequence
    (make formatting-instruction data: "&#60!--")
    (literal "#include file=\"header.html\" ")
    (make formatting-instruction data: "-->")))
(define ($html-body-end$)
  (make sequence
    (make formatting-instruction data: "&#60!--")
    (literal "#include file=\"footer.html\" ")
    (make formatting-instruction data: "-->")))

Kinda ugly brute force, and DSSSL, not XSLT, but it does demonstrate
the general technique of using a stylesheet to add the "templatey"
stuff back into the generated docs.

*shrug*  (c:

John

--