Re: Bugzilla summary

Martin Baulig wrote:

> I think we can pretty well go with a more general list like

Yes, but...

>         Platforms:
[...]

>         OS:
[...]

> where "Sparc" stands for any Sparc and "SunOS/Solaris" stands for any
> "SunOS/Solaris".
>
> People can include in their bug reports what exact platform and operating
> system they have.

Yes, but can I search that easily?

> I think we really need to restrict these list to major, general platforms
> and operating systems since otherwise we'd end up adding and adding and
> adding stuff to this list while Bugzilla is already running.

Does it hurt to have bigger list? If you include minor platforms by name,
you are:

a) showing that you care about them
b) providing a search criteria for somebody who's an expert for some minor
   platform. I suppose there are not too many people who are very familiar
   with BSDI, for example. If one such person wants to find all bugs
   logged for BSDI and do something about them, it would be useful to
   have an easy way to list them all. Having generic BSD is much better
   than only "Other," though. Maybe it's good enough, I'm not sure.

Is there a way to add "me too" for another platform? If somebody logged
a bug and checked IRIX, can I just add Solaris to his bug report, instead
of submitting my own?

As for CPUs, having only one entry for sparc is fine with me. Having two
or more is also OK, but the problem I'd like to awoid is the following:

There were several bug reports I got in which the bug submitter said
he was using the application on 64-bit Solaris. Because of all the 64-bit
hoopla, people usually make it sound as if the application itself was
64-bit, although in fact it wasn't. It was just an ordinary 32-bit app
and only the kernel was 64-bit. But it doesn't matter if the kernel
is 32-bit, 64-bit or 2-bit. The only thing that matters is the application
environment. But I was lead to believe that the application was 64-bit,
so I compiled all the necessary libraries in 64-bit mode, compiled the
application in 64-bit mode and then found that the bug submitter didn't
have that environment at all. So I lost a couple of days for nothing.

If somebody intends to write 64-bit sparc code, then I suppose it would
be OK to have it listed. If nobody's going to do that, then I don't see
a reason. BTW, it's possible to have applications with 32-bit pointers
on Digital Unix. :-)

If "SunOS/Solaris" is not too wide to fit, then it should be fine.

--
 .-.   .-.    Chaos, panic & disorder - my work here is done.