Re: CVS policy

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 11:26:02AM +0300, Ali Abdin wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

>> Why does Galeon want to get into GNOME CVS? They're on Sourceforge now. Is it
>> because they want to be more closely associated with GNOME, is it because
>> they want to share files using &-modules, or is it because they're unhappy
>> with the level of service and so on at Sourceforge? This would be a pretty
>> relevant question to have answered, and will make it easier to form a policy
>> on what project and how projects should be allowed into GNOME CVS.

> I can't speak on behalf of the Galeon developers. But CVS is slightly
> slower because they use SSH. You don't get the nice Bonsai/LXR set-up
> (they use another system (which I personally don't like)). It's more
> "difficult" to get developers to work on a project (they have to create a
> sourceforge account, you have to go to a website and add them to your
> module) (they also need to setup CVS/SSH).

Using SSH isn't a bad thing from my point of view (it's both practical, if
you use ssh-agent, and secury, obviously). The Bonsai thing sounds relevant,
I haven't actually used what they have at Sourceforge.

Is it really more work to do this than it is to get someone CVS access on
cvs.gnome.org? It seems to me that that's an error-prone process that
sometimes takes a week or so.

> Also - many people complain that sourceforge is _SLOW_ (which I tend to
> agree with).

Yeah, I've experienced this as well. Not that cvs.gnome.org is terribly fast,
but it feels faster than Sourceforge to me.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim helixcode com - Radagast IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer