Re: CVS policy

Various notes:

1) Sourceforge is slow, as the sourceforge folks don't have enough bandwidth.
If it is simply because of where it is hosted, there is an obvious fix.

2) we installed sourceforge on our handhelds site, and have found that
it is relatively brittle: if you don't install it exactly the way the
source forge folks run it, you have a constant maintenance headache. I
recommend that if sourceforge is intalled, to put up with its idiosyncracies
of configuration, or it will be alot of trouble, as we found out the hard
way.

3) The folks playing with zope on handhelds.org claim to me it
solves a large class of authentication/access control problems.

4) some of the handhelds folks are considering writing a sourceforge
like thing in zope.

5) the wiki stuff written in zope seems to be succeeding admirably
on handhelds in encouraging collaboration.

Note: my zope experience is only from looking over the documents,
and in reaction to a very mixed experience with sourceforge.

6) I think it may be useful to distinguish projects hosted in the
GNOME CVS, from those shipped in the core gnome distribution: one
should not necessarily imply the second.  In the X distribution for a long
time there was an active "contrib" section; this is worthwhile.

Where the core X distribution fell down was that there was no process
for things to migrate into (and out of) the core distribution. Both
need to be handled.  New tools come along which should supplant the old,
even if the old continue to compile and run, they do get to the point
where they aren't worth maintaining.

					- Jim

--
Jim Gettys