Re: CVS policy

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 11:26:02AM +0300, Ali Abdin wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>
> >> Why does Galeon want to get into GNOME CVS? They're on Sourceforge now. Is it
> >> because they want to be more closely associated with GNOME, is it because
> >> they want to share files using &-modules, or is it because they're unhappy
> >> with the level of service and so on at Sourceforge? This would be a pretty
> >> relevant question to have answered, and will make it easier to form a policy
> >> on what project and how projects should be allowed into GNOME CVS.
>
> > I can't speak on behalf of the Galeon developers. But CVS is slightly
> > slower because they use SSH. You don't get the nice Bonsai/LXR set-up
> > (they use another system (which I personally don't like)). It's more
> > "difficult" to get developers to work on a project (they have to create a
> > sourceforge account, you have to go to a website and add them to your
> > module) (they also need to setup CVS/SSH).
>
> Using SSH isn't a bad thing from my point of view (it's both practical, if
> you use ssh-agent, and secury, obviously). The Bonsai thing sounds relevant,
> I haven't actually used what they have at Sourceforge.

Yes - but some people may see this is a bad thing if they don't have SSH
setup on their system (their own fault though)

> Is it really more work to do this than it is to get someone CVS access on
> cvs.gnome.org? It seems to me that that's an error-prone process that
> sometimes takes a week or so.

You email somebody and "forget about it" (much simpler than logging in,
traversing (cryptic) webpages, finding the correct link, adding new info,
etc)

> > Also - many people complain that sourceforge is _SLOW_ (which I tend to
> > agree with).
>
> Yeah, I've experienced this as well. Not that cvs.gnome.org is terribly fast,
> but it feels faster than Sourceforge to me.

cvs.gnome.org is pretty fast...In the past though when using anoncvs, it
wasn't as fast as the main cvs branch.