Re: CVS policy

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 02:58:06PM -0800, mjs eazel com wrote:
>
> > Recently, Marco from the Galeon project asked to have Galeon imported
> > into gnome-cvs, and for accounts to be created for the active Galeon
> > developers. This sparked a discussion of what kind of policy we want
> > for importing new projects into gnome cvs, and for creating gnome cvs
> > accounts.
>
> > Anyway, I've given you a topic, please discuss. :-)
>
> I tend to agree with your thinking on this, that actively maintained, useful
> projects that want to get into GNOME CVS, should be let in. I think there's a
> need to fix a lot of our infrastructure to support this, though, which brings
> me to a somewhat tangential topic that I wanted to mention.
>
> The Sourceforge thing that was brought up a while ago. Doing CVS like this
> was one of the things mentioned from Sourceforge/VA, I seem to remember, and
> the question that springs to mind immediately is:
>
> Why does Galeon want to get into GNOME CVS? They're on Sourceforge now. Is it
> because they want to be more closely associated with GNOME, is it because
> they want to share files using &-modules, or is it because they're unhappy
> with the level of service and so on at Sourceforge? This would be a pretty
> relevant question to have answered, and will make it easier to form a policy
> on what project and how projects should be allowed into GNOME CVS.

I can't speak on behalf of the Galeon developers. But CVS is slightly
slower because they use SSH. You don't get the nice Bonsai/LXR set-up
(they use another system (which I personally don't like)). It's more
"difficult" to get developers to work on a project (they have to create a
sourceforge account, you have to go to a website and add them to your
module) (they also need to setup CVS/SSH).

Also - many people complain that sourceforge is _SLOW_ (which I tend to
agree with).

Regards,
Ali